AIG

AIG Employee Reviews for Underwriter

AIG offers a great 401k match and lots of paid time off for new employees. Can be hard to advance in the company and raises are seldom. Everyone is friendly and office culture is fun.
Pros
Time off, 401k
Cons
Hard to advance
The executives are running this company into the ground. The employee morale is horrible because everyone is overwhelmed with the plethora of work after all of the layoffs and not hiring replacements when people quit.
Fast paced environment working at accelerated pace Enjoy camraderie of remote Underwriters on other teams Work, files are challenging which generates a feeling of being productive
Enjoyed flexible hours, going to conventions, and getting to know brokers. Old software (excel) led to large amounts of data input. Worked as a team, but there was competition between teammembers, and performance was strongly based upon numbers of sales.
great way to start your career in the corporate space but there is minimal advancement opportunity. there are plenty of ways to learn and expand your knowledge base in order to move forward in your career.
Remote worker. Opportunities to telecommute. Great management. Enjoy opportunities to collab with colleagues on more challenging work... With automated underwriting and straight through processing (STP), future is uncertain.
The managers tend to micromanage the employees and there are not any positions open. No one ever receives a raise as many employees have been at the same rate since being hired and individuals stay in their positions, as open opportunities are typically lower salaries.
Pros
M-f and latest time worked is 5pm
Cons
Micro management, insufficient training, lack of growth and advancement
We worked hard and had very supportive relationships with the other employees. Management was always trying to restructure The overall philosophy was constantly changing
Cons
Had layoffs and restructuring frequently like every few years
I enjoyed my coworkers, the job function in itself, the flexibility to work remotely when necessary, my mentor and assistant manager were both great as educators and as people. The main drawback, and it was a big one, was an incompetent, recluse manager who did not much enjoy being around people, seemed dismissive of female opinions, talked about women's attractiveness in the work place, and really lacked expertise in the field we were in, and was in the office what seemed like three days a week on average.
Pros
Industry Expertise
Cons
Poor Manager
Gained all Insurance knowledge and experience at AIG. I started working at AIG in 1991 and left the Organization in 2015. I do not know who the current AIG CEO is.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at AIG?
I love AIG!!!! I love my teammates, my mentor, my pay, my paid vacay, my ability to work from home the benefits and to top it off AIG loves its employees! I live in the great City of Houston and when Harvey hit, AIG STEPPED UP! AIG treated its employees like our customers, like we were invaluable!! There was an entire team dedicated to locating each employee and sending boat and helicopter rescues to employees, customers , and anyone we knew!! Yes, helicopters!! They provided loans and grants to employees impacted. They donated over a million in relief to the city! We were notified not to worry about our jobs to worry about family first! At AIG , our company statement reads something like “ we promise to be socially responsible, to go above and beyond for our clients so they know how important they are to us”.....AIG and all who represent this company from the top down truly live by this... I experienced it first hand.
Pros
Great pay benefits work friends
Cons
Have not come across one
The bail out. Enough said. Aig paid very little, like a lot of companies in atlanta area, but they paid even less that standard. This was my first job out of college, and I learned a lot.
Great place for full time employees with many remote positions available. Would not necessarily recommend working here as a contractor due to organization.
There is a work hard and play hard culture. The team are very intelligent, flexible and motivated. However, the working hours can be challenging at times.
The people are great.. Hardest part of the job would be the irregular hours of work. Everyone is willing to help everyone. They have open door policy for those in management positions where you can readily approach a manage should you have any questions or concern.
Pros
free coffee, high salary
Cons
graveyard shift
Aig is a good place to work but there is not a lot of learning done here and they do not have people trying to grow young talent. I have been here for three years and need a change.
Pros
Great
Cons
Great
Stressful, not family oriented and no job security. Difficult to know who to contact within any given department and no real cohesiveness between home office and the branch offices.
Pros
Large company many departments
Cons
Large company, difficult to maneuver
Every big company has their good ways and uncomfortable ways of handling employer/employee relations. From the lower - paid employees up to the highly compensated ( whatever that means ) no one is equal in dollars on any level. In many big companies today employers are looking to cut back. They call it: hard decisions:All in all, big and small companies today, are making more demands on would be hires that simply are not realistic to the cost of living and the wages and the wages that they are offering. $45,000. sounds like a lot of money but not in today's world.
Pros
I was employed.
Cons
Answers sometimes take too long for a required resolution.
The workload at AIG is extremely heavy. They do offer a good benefit package, but I don't think the high stress level of the job is worth it. Management lacks in helping you advance in your career.
Great place to work, I met alot of clients. Helped a lot of people achieve their fitness goals. I set my own hrs plus I did more than what we required.
A lot of autonomy and independence within my job. They are supportive of education and promotion within the company. There is a great sense of teamwork and ambition, but the downside is raises and bonuses. Unless you are promoted or advanced in the company it is very hard to get a raise within your own position
Pros
supportive of advancement; vacation time; remote work
Cons
raises and bonuses