AIG

AIG Employee Reviews for Underwriter

AIG offers a great 401k match and lots of paid time off for new employees. Can be hard to advance in the company and raises are seldom. Everyone is friendly and office culture is fun.
Pros
Time off, 401k
Cons
Hard to advance
Company offers a great work place culture which provides opportunities to for professional advancement, work culture provides exceptional opportunities for professional growth
I was a coop student there for 4 months and it was a good experience. Overall very monotonous job, with repeated tasks everyday. The industry itself is not exciting but the company made an effort to do outside activities such as baseball games and beer parties and Christmas celebrations.
AIG is a great place to work. I have always felt supported and I believe my manager genuinely wishes for me to succeed. Other team members are also very happy.
Great opportunity to meet people from all walks of life and different parts of the world. Continued learning and sharing outlooks and outcomes of life experiences.
The company has changed in many ways since I have worked there, however, at that time, AIG was a leader in it's field for all aspects and areas of insurance.
Good Company until the end. I feel like when i first started they were very focus on us the employees / customers and then towards the end it was more about the company .
I have worked at since I graduated college. I am approaching 8 years. I believe that is a testament to how much I enjoy being an AIG employee. I work with a team of people and a very helpful manager on a daily basis. I have a book of business & brokers that I have built very good relationships with. AIG allowed me to work from home. However, working from home can sometimes be very difficult. I have slowly moved up in the company through my 8 years which means I have gained knowledge of several areas within the company.
Learned a lot with the direction of management. Learned how to run AUS systems. Thrived in a team environment. Worked well in a team environment. Enjoyed completing tasks in a timely manner.
Pros
Management support
Cons
Short breaks
Great Company to work for. I loved going to work everyday, very convenient. Incredible co workers! The office was great, many restaurants and a gym within walking distance.
Large company with lots of different departments. Management is not really supportive. Should be able to multi-task simultaneously and meet goals. The job is not hard and it's fun to learn about planes and go to air shows.
This was an ok place to work, environment was good, co workers were all good to work with. Management was very kind and fair.
Reviewing accounts and interacting with the broker in regards to clients needs for personal lines insurance. I have a great working relationship with peers internal and external. The most enjoyable part is satisfaction handling a difficult account leaving the broker with a smile Underwiting Analyst is my offical title
Pros
Ability to work overtime
Cons
Merit not available
My everyday work has been extremely busy which I feel busy is good. I have learned many different type of systems within the different departments that I have worked in. My experience working within various departments I feel that the management part of the company can be improved by excepting others opinion. As for my co-workers I never had a problem communicating with them. No part of the job is hard. Is hard if we make it hard we need to know how to work around difficult situations and get the job done. My most enjoyable part of the job is knowing what I am doing, working independently and helping others.
Pros
Once a year free breakfast from the building management
Cons
Half a day on special holidays
The company provides opportunities for advancement but you have to drive your career development. The process can be long and discouraging but if you can find a good mentor it can be much quicker. Senior management has good ideas for the direction of the company but mid-level and front line management sometimes are very slow in adapting the new ideas. The company offers flexible working hours and good benefits which is extremely helpful if you have a family. If you do not have any experience in the industry AIG is a good start. You can learn a lot about the industry and variety of products but you have to be eager to learn. People are very friendly and willing to help.
Pros
Training, benefits, flexible working hours, friendly work envieronment
Cons
Difficult to find a good mentor, many changes in a short period of time
There's nothing better than a company that cares for their employees. Promotion, career advancements, work-life balance, families, giving back to the community are just a few of AIG's benefits.
Pros
Bonus
I worked for this company for one year. This division is trying to compete with the "BIG" boys in the private client market. They do not want to invest in technology rather make the employees work like dogs until they have to go on stress leave. Stay away from this division of AIG at least in Canada as it's a sinking ship.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Incompetent middle management.
Worked on at least 3 renewal quotes per day and 3 new business quotes. No guidance from management. In a span of about 4 years; we had 4 different managers. Hardest part of the day was trying to make sure; we kept up with expectations of management. Most enjoyable part of the day was talking to brokers and making deals.
Pros
wear jeans on fridays
Cons
No christmas parties; no summer picnics
This was a great place to work, there was lots of fun experiences and room for advancement. I met and maintained many friends from this company. There was a good deal of work at times, and we tackled it as a team. I learned how to deal with diverse group of clients. Regrettably, the company was caught up in the financial crisis of 2008, and contracted. We lost a lot of our work due to this. That was very hard for the staff and myself. Nevertheless it was a memorable growth and learning experience.
Pros
Employee team work, advancement, dynamic workplace.
Cons
Company struggled in financial crisis, stocks went down.
Quoting 2-3 renewals per day/ quoting 1-2 new lines of business per day. I have learned how to manage high volumes of work on a daily basis I loved my co-workers and everyone got along with each other. The hardest part of my job was working with new management team every six month because people were leaving the company. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I owned my work; whatever I brought in was a reflection of my work ethic. I treated my job like my own business.
Property and Casualty Insurance. I work in a fast paced environment that is going through many changes.