AIG

AIG Employee Reviews for Underwriter

AIG offers a great 401k match and lots of paid time off for new employees. Can be hard to advance in the company and raises are seldom. Everyone is friendly and office culture is fun.
Pros
Time off, 401k
Cons
Hard to advance
A great place to work and grow professionally. The most enjoyable part of the position was working with great co-workers and working business to business. Management always encouraged career growth. The company really cared about their employees.
Pros
great location and people
Cons
division was sold in 2009
Assessed and evaluated moderate to complex risks for the accident and health, group travel and special risk plans. Determined risk acceptability, pricing, coverage, terms and conditions by evaluating information and exposure on risk. Increased sales by applying effective pricing and underwriting in accordance with the Company guideline and personal authority.
I enjoyed working with AIG, overall the people we open and willing to help and listen.
Pros
The people in my department
Cons
For me no real cons just want something new
My experience with the company has been a challenge for advancement. Little to no diversity. Very little room for growth change or advancement. I was not told that we were able to obtain pay increases for receiving the government bailout. You are penalizes for presenting ideas or if you questions ratings for end of the year reviews. When ask how can we help the company save money I suggested using technology vs travel. work from home. Ideas were shot down.The plus is the company offer a pension but of course not guarantee.
Typical day at work involves speaking to insurance brokers regarding insurance policies; generally renewal increase discrepancies, coverage accuracy, inspection changes, coverage questions. I underwrite renewal policies and endorsements to existing insurance policies. Interact and work with the underwriter daily to ensure proper policy pricing or to seek approval to release renewals & endorsements.
Pros
Flexible, benefits, co-workers
Cons
Not much room for advancement, job security
AIG was a very good company at one time. I met many professionals. The training was very good.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Alot of hands on learning and production. I have a great repoire with my coworkers and management. My typical day consists of renewals and new business. Breaking down account and prepping them for the underwriters to review to have quoted or declined. The most difficult part is gathering enough information on time from the broker in order to have the accounts prepped. The underwriters have also taken me on client meeting/luncheons to meet with our clients to put my name to a face and vice versa. It has been a pleasure meeting the people I interact in person than just through emails and phone calls. I've learned a lot about insurance and how accounts are analyzed. the experience has been great.
AIG was a great company to work for. I learned alot in the workers comp. department and gained great experience working as a underwriter assistance. Unfortunately due to cut backs, i was layoff along with 170 other employees...
Pros
management made it fun to work for the company
Cons
lunch break was only 30 minutes.
As a long term Commercial Property Underwriter for Chartis (Prev. AIG) I worked on numerous large accounts, dealing predominantly with renewals, liaising between clients, brokers, property management teams & surveyors.I built rapports up with many big names throughout the companies I underwrote & have always strived to stand out among my peers.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at AIG?
Very political environment. Management was difficult to work with at times.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
difficult to move up with in the company.
AIG is a corporate structure dedicated to selling various insurance products.
. A typical day used to start with the checking of the mail, routing it and ensuring that the required action istaken. In AIG I've learned about Accident & Health Insurance, Travel Insurance and the famous amongst the corporate client the product Voluntary Group Accident (VGA). Management in AIG was generally good until a new Manager came in our department from a totally different field. He made decisions that were not truly very productive. My co wrokers in AIG were the most helpful. Almost all of them were highly qualified and had the most professional ethics deeply inculcated into their activities. Yes I miss them a lot.. The hardest part of thejob was to counter the Manager who in order to secure himself was ready to sacrifice others (my) career. Othrwise all things were just wonderful.. AIG gives the employees to be on the forefront and that gives the sense of partcipation, the sense of being important. That was most enjoyable.
Pros
the colleagues, workenvironment, the get togethers
Cons
mangement at times was simply dosile
Enjoyed working with all my co-workers, Always empowered to excel, Working conditions were great. Travel distance was very hectic, Compensation and advancement was minimal.
Pros
values, code of ethics, personalble
Cons
distance, advancement, security.