AIG

AIG Employee Reviews in Boston, MA

AIG offers a great 401k match and lots of paid time off for new employees. Can be hard to advance in the company and raises are seldom. Everyone is friendly and office culture is fun.
Pros
Time off, 401k
Cons
Hard to advance
Layoffs just occurred in March 2020, which is fine. However, the same positions that were layed off are now posted in different cities offering less salary???
processed claims learned a new claims system spearheaded new system diverse culture hardest part was the unknown in respect to security of job working with my colleagues was the most enjoyable part and having the utmost respect for my manager
Lots of turnover and frequent layoffs. No cost of living adjustments and very political organization. Production is not rewarded and employees are not valued
Good when I started here - management was laid back and it was easy to network in a big company. Things turned sour over time with countless reorgs, massive layoffs, and abysmal employee morale. It still was easy to work there, but the more recent years I was there I wasn't learning anything new and no one had any faith in the management.
Great place to foster your talents and the talents of others. Supportive and respectful professional environment. Highly educated and motivated workforce. I would recommend this employer.
work from home most days. Stressful work environment most days. Lots of dealing with agents and brokers. I learned a lot about insurance and commercial.
Since this is a large very large company, there are many opportunities to advance your career and/or work in different parts of the US or the world. Great 401k match. Overall good benefits and pay. I was able to work remotely from home which was a huge plus for work/life balance.
AIG had grand plans for their engineering department, but started on a bad foundation. It was too rushed. Obviously, it fell apart. I hope that their future is good.
Ability to work as an individual contributor or in a group depending on manager. Lots of flexibility to work remotely if you want. Some slow periods during the early summer but work picks up by end of July.
Good experience. I learned a lot about handling professional liability claims. I liked attending mediations and negotiatiating settlements. I developed skills including analyzing liablity and damages, and evaluating exposure.
Great company to work for. I would recommend this job to anyone. Management is excellent, very understanding. workplace culture is diverse. enjoyed meeting new people
Great brand, smart people but difficult to advance if you don't have a manager willing to be a true sponsor/mentor. Management training is limited to underrepresented minorities or women of certain job grades. If you aren't in either group, it's pretty much self driven.
Worked at AIG for many years prior to the 2008 market collapse. Lots of resources and training to help you grow and improve. Layoffs in 2009 caused considerable brand damage but was extremely happy working here.
This company used to be a great place to work. The atmosphere has changed dramatically in the last 6 years. Every week there are layoffs with no explanations.
Serious ambiguity about company management. Lack of structure. Company has been trying to rightsize for years and can't seem to get it right. Work life balance is good.
Good Place tow work and working culture. Good team and everybody helps each other and work as a team. Managers are also very supportive and helps each others.
Pros
good working culture
Cons
very busy work schedule
I was always busy and challenged daily. Coming from a government job into AIG I learned alot of about the corp world. Management was fair and always gave enough rope to hang yourself while still holding on to the rope. People were very friendly and open. The company treats employees like valued members of the greater team. The job is only hard if you are in the deep end and should still be in the shallow end with floaties... I enjoyed my time with AIG.
Pros
Food for days..
Cons
the need to keep your a** covered at all times is real..
Very busy fast paced environment. I loved working for AIG and learned a lot about Insurance during the course of the time that I was employed. The most difficult/challenging part of the job were doing the monthly reports. Workplace culture is serious but still fun.
Pros
free lunches most of the time
I worked at AIG with Claims litigation Staff Counsel for 20 years. Talent and hard work were recognized and rewarded. For the last three years I worked remotely from home.
Always willing to make sure their employees were on top of what is required. Went out of their way to make sure employees felt respected and acknowledged.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Relocation