AIG

AIG Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

I think title says it all and the rest of this is just to get 26 characters. Nothing more to report please but this is common place for largecompanie. .
The office was extremely dynamic and you were able to assist across departments. I also really enjoyed the people that I worked for and with. Each day brought new and exciting challenges.
busy, weekly meetings, good co-workers that care, able to ask questions on projects and tasks. Leadership is strong and experienced. good contact and relations with customers and associates.
When I worked for AIG, it was a company in transition. Each business unit was under review and remediation causing a great deal of disruption to strategic direction.
I was told the job would cover a certain area and when I got hired the area was completely different. The person that hired me left the company. I was working with clients that did not want to talk to an advisor
Pros
Office was in a great location
Cons
Little team work. Working with clients that didn’t want or need your help
My experience at this company was after spending 10 hours per day of hard work,I would have to experience disrespect from the Director who criticized everything I did every single day.The first 8 weeks were horrible! I watched people get let go without warning after they have been doing phenomenally well in their job performance.No reason given.
If you want to work in the mill of insurance companies choose AIG. I felt like I had to take a shower when I'd come home from work. I was routinely asked to do things against insurance regulations.
Loved my role at AIG. Worked with some great managers and team lead. My co-workers were very engaging an their mindsets were fair and open. The cross function training that was provided by management was helpful as well.
As an account engineer doing account reviews, the replacement work software (GRASP) often required four to five times as long to accomplish account reviews. Little consideration was given by management for the increased burden in establishing work loads and due dates created by this software.
Cons
Grasp. Grasp. Grasp.
Company has a strong reputation and a great place to learn the insurance business. It has been somewhat unstable in recent years and has had a lot of employee turnover.
Benefits
Cons
Stability
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at AIG?
the old AIG was a great place. the CEO got screwed by politicians and a couple of people in Westport Ct. that were getting involved in things they had no idea about. Greenwich (AIG Trading) was great and went on to great things, AIGFP took the whole place down
Was able to grow significantly within company. Able to develop skills to manage multiple locations. Unfortunately after mortgage crisis environment became difficult due to massive layoffs.
would have been a great place if one wasn't afraid of being on the chopping block each round. Plenty of Nepotism Management was just ok, Hardest part of job is wondering if you'd havea job the next week Most enjoyable was rugby week
I enjoyed my coworkers, the job function in itself, the flexibility to work remotely when necessary, my mentor and assistant manager were both great as educators and as people. The main drawback, and it was a big one, was an incompetent, recluse manager who did not much enjoy being around people, seemed dismissive of female opinions, talked about women's attractiveness in the work place, and really lacked expertise in the field we were in, and was in the office what seemed like three days a week on average.
Pros
Industry Expertise
Cons
Poor Manager
Unfortunately there were massive layoffs. Reviews were no longer done on an individual basis. Each title was reviewed across the National instead of the department. Only a certain number of positions could be graded, so you were rated against others versus what you did for the department.
Pros
Salary competitive; worked 7 hours
Cons
Reviews were no longer for the work you provided; it was ranked on a National basis, and only a few could be in a specific catergory.
Learned a lot skills and how to grow meeting deadlines taking positive6 care with your product wjen mailing to a Client accurate neat and met deadlines to tje agent
Pros
Lunches were brought
Cons
Short breaks
Company didn't pay me what I was worth. They also had me doing multiple jobs. I would have continued if they compensated me, but they instead chose to let me quit and hired 2 people to do my job and paid them more money.
Very stressful fast paced environment but rewarding and interesting. Long hours, on call. International teleconferences at different time zones. Gain lots of experience and a sense of accomplishment.
The workload at AIG is extremely heavy. They do offer a good benefit package, but I don't think the high stress level of the job is worth it. Management lacks in helping you advance in your career.
Always a fun day. Supervisor had open door policy. You could go to them about anything. From the first day I came their I always felt welcome. Only downfall they had no full time hours aviable.
Pros
Cons
No full time hours
High paced environment included live trading with many companies and independent traders making trades in the commodities market. Great place to work, however due to electronic trading, the physical pits have since been closed.
Pros
free lunches, lots of after parties
Cons
Cut throat environment