AIG

AIG Employee Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Intern for two summers - great training, but overall work was mundane at best. It was a very strict working environment - there was no room for error. The company didn't have good leadership and I had to learn on the fly and hoped for the best.
There are not many open positions for full-time and most employees have been with the company an average of 8+ years. It is very stable if you are able to fill a position.
Many opportunities within corporation to excel and move into. If you are will to travel, there is opportunity. If you are willing to relocate, even more opportunity.
I enjoyed my time working at AIG in the operations department. The building was nice, located in dtla. The parking was close by, free parking and near the freeway. My department colleagues and management were great. Work life balance was good. Good learning experience. There were no yearly pay raises due to it being bailed out. The company did have bonuses. Too bad they moved my position due to cost cutting.
Pros
Nice location and building, great colleagues, health and dental insurance, work life balance
Cons
Laid off due to cost cutting, no yearly pay raises
great place to work. great opportunity for advancement. great employee and environment morale. They are very supportive of personal endeavors and professional growth.
You can be fired without notice. Fellow workers were helpful when you asked for assistance, other than that, every one was just worrying about themselves.
.Good place to work good staff and good management. , I demonstrated the ability to resolve a variety of issues and complaints, such as billing disputes. In addition to this experience, I gained considerable Real Estate and service skills during my employment as an Accountant.
I have donce consulting for AIG SunAmerica at Los Angeles. I was a great experence and a fun place to work at with lively work culture and friendly managers and coworkers.
A typical day will involve 3 hours of meetings. Meetings are focussed on "bringing people up to speed" rather than making decisions. Too many layers of management. The firm is very inefficient. Higher level jobs are given to outsiders. But benefits relatively generous.
Benefits
Cons
Culture, management
It used to be a great company to work for. Over the past 6-10 years, the morale of the workforce has been deteriorating due to the constant fear of being laid-off. The company posts positive financial numbers quarter after quarter yet employees are laid off often.
Pros
Work remotely and autonomously
Cons
Budget restraints do not allow an employee to rise and provide unparalleled customer service.
AIG is a complex company. There are several businesses within the Company which will allow room to move around the Company. There is constant change within the company which can sometimes be frustrating. Compensation and benefits are great including a the ability to work from home.
We worked hard and had very supportive relationships with the other employees. Management was always trying to restructure The overall philosophy was constantly changing
Cons
Had layoffs and restructuring frequently like every few years
Workplace culture was constant change for change sake. Changing leadership made goals and developing culture a moving target. New leaders were still supported by "old school" teams of leaders a and managers who were self-serving and not in tune with new vision for leadership, which made implementation quite difficult.
Pros
Exciting international work
Cons
changing leadership
AIG is a diverse company with many niche areas of talent. Mine was in the environmental insurance department. Had it not been for their discontinuation of the pollution insurance line that I supported, I would gladly still be working there.
Stressful, not family oriented and no job security. Difficult to know who to contact within any given department and no real cohesiveness between home office and the branch offices.
Pros
Large company many departments
Cons
Large company, difficult to maneuver
nice place to work. competitive place to work . Good encourage from all. good place to work. Cool Place to work. Place to work. Management is good and coperative.
Typical day at work involves making/taking 40 to 50 calls. All calls are recorded and some are reviewed weekly. Everything you do is documented: calls, emails, etc. There's a lot of opportunity for advancement if you want to go into external wholesaling. There are many layers of management, which can result in disorganization and confusion.
Pros
Great benefits, external sales opportunities, decent salary, lots of vacation days
Cons
There are too many layers of management and it can feel overbearing at times, too many inefficient and ineffective meetings
Employees are rewarded for their performance. Although salaries don't start high, they train their employees well that provides a solid foundation should they decide to move to other opportunities.
I was hired to dismantle a department of 26 and create a software program that would allow every department to write their own contracts. Working with resources I was able to develop that system, test, write the manual and train over 300 employees on the new system.
All aspects of my employment during my tenure with AIG was positive even during the rocky times of the government bail-out. It is a professional atmosphere with a large team of positive and helpful co-workers.
Pros
flexible work schedule, excellent benefits, good environment
Cons
Enjoyable and good work and home balance. As an intern, not very challenging.