AIG

AIG Employee Reviews in Neptune City, NJ

I am thankful for the 18 plus years I had at American General/AIG. I am thankful for the opportunity I had to learn various products. I also was involved in their EAC and was able to help out in other TEAM projects as well. As our jobs were eliminated because of AIG selling off the Affinity and Small Group Employer business, there was no other place within the company. That would be the one downfault. Management was fair at times, but upper Management was always changing. You learned to adapt to their procedures.
It was just Ehh. The people I worked with were great, but the rest of the company treated us as outsiders. It was a poor operation overall. There was absolutely no future there.
Great place to work with great professional people. During my 18 years with the company I was able to improve professionally and expand my skills thanks to their continuous training philosophy
I loved that my positions kept me busy and challenged. During my career corporate business decisions kept changing directions. This gave me the opportunity to learn more and expand my insurance expertise. I also learned how to adapt to change quickly. My management team was the most supportive team I could ask for.
Pros
Good Benefits with supportive co-workers
Cons
No employment stability
Great work environment,opportunity for advancement. Senior management is available for inquiries and helpful in career choice. AIG is made of of several companies, however the reorg is causing layoffs company wide. There is room for advancement and a great place to establish a career
Pros
solid company
Cons
Updating insurance systems and processes is costly, time consuming. There is no great time. Embarking on such an endeavor challenges teams, intellect, culture. Biggest challenge with all transformation is quickly training/educating the associates who are seeped in the prior processes as well as respecting their views. The associates commitment to bringing the new in was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Temporary position, finite, hired by a temp agency. Company site was closing. Friendly staff and supervisors, many company perks, community oriented.
While I worked for AIG I felt fortunate to be there. We were treated well and I enjoyed my job. Unfortunately, in 2014 they decided to transfer our jobs out of state and laid off several employees. After about 2 years they brought the department back to N.J. and hired new people.
Pros
Good pay & benefits. Treated employees well. Enjoyed working there.
Cons
Job security
Division and management team I reported up to during my last 10 years with the company questionable. Personality/politically driven as oppose to performance.
Pros
Global company, therefore global opportunities if you have the skills
Cons
Middle management is personality and political driven as oppose to performance driven.
The people and management made it great. I learned how to truly work with people across a variety of departments. Although things could be stressful, it was always nice to know that management had your back and you would get through it together.
I worked at AIG full-time about 5 years.Work expectations sometimes were unreasonable; there is a disconnect between the goals and actually how much work is required to implement. Company is going through a lot of management turnover and there is a lot of instability at multiple levels. Decent benefits and wellness opportunities and work from home options.
Pros
Decent benefits, talented coworkers, work from home options
Cons
Underpaid, constant management changes, lots of turnover, unstable management, no annual raises; behind the curve with technology, limiteted training due to the constant cost savings
Good benefits. Flexible work options. Paid leave is good. Career advancement and spending on employee training is poor. Chances of getting a promotion or raise is rare.
Pros
Work-life balance, flex timing, benefits
Cons
career advancement, raises
I loved working for AIG. I came to the company with customer service background but knew nothing about Credit Claims. I left knowing everything there was to know including regulations for 3 states. There wasn't a lot of chance for advancement within the department but there was within the company. I am still great friends with a lot of my co-workers.
Pros
Cons
they closed the department
Worked at AIG for 4 1/2 years. In that time, all staff was subjected to organizational restructure and layoffs each year. Very unstable environment!
Cons
Unstable workplace
Enjoyed working independently creating group contracts in conjunction with proposals provided by the Underwriting Team in compliance with state laws. Excellent working relationship with my peers.
Pros
AIG allowed paid time to volunteer in my community
Cons
Raises were few and far between
Started this job back in '89. Since that time we changed names, and were bought out twice. Typical day was busy. I learned a lot over the years as initially it was old slave terminals and then progressed to full online programs, windows etc. I learned a lot with regard to commissions, check issuance, general ledger reconciliations, and basic insurance practices as well as audit procedures for internal and external. The management tem was decent but lacking in guidance and incentive over the last few years in our division due to the uncertainty of our division. The hardest part of the job was finding the correct contact as there was no directory that provided which offices people were in unless you knew a specific individual and office location. The most enjoyable part was working with agents and interoffice/regional contacts who were appreciative for the extra efforts made.
Pros
Office location
Cons
limited Short Term Incentives; system issues, lack of available contact information readily accessible
I had a great experience as an employee of AIG. We had a wonderful work environment with great coworkers, great team spirit and the option to work from home during the week, We were a highly productive department with a diversified workload. This combination made for an interesting and engaging job. Unfortunately, the company made the decision to remove the company from the group insurance benefit business which was the AIG Neptune office's main line of business and my job as affected with this corporate decision.
Pros
Option to work from home, easy commute, friendly work enviroment
Cons
AIG does not offer raises to salary
Great office, with very, very thoughtful staff, willing to put aside titles and position to help teach and make productive, informed professionals Learned new skill sets.
Group benefits division is growing and changing quickly. The environment is very dynamic with more changes on the short and long horizon.
I like working at AIG as a contractor. Good pay and company culture/environment is good. Too many lay offs so everyone is on the edge of their seats. overall good place to work.
The company is in the process of major layoffs. The job is a wonderful place to work. I work with a great group of people who are all willing to work as a team to get our jobs accomplished.
  1. Neptune City, NJ