AIG

AIG Employee Reviews in San Diego, CA

Coworkers are the best part of your day at work. The goals to get you to the next level are moving targets that only a select few really can achieve and maintain for more than one month. The perks can be fun. Most of the managers are not really helpful if you're not on their team. The benefits are really good and some say that working here is better than some other local sales agencies. If you decide to work here be advised that salary is not base plus commission but either base or commission. The initial commission factor is low. When leads are good and you get the opportunity to move up to the next factor then commissions can be better. But bonuses are like ping pong balls, earned one month and then not much the next month. Each person's experience is their own. You could easily fare better than others.
I’ll start with training. The class is run on fear, straight up. They talk down at you and when you do “role plays” they think up some of the most ridiculous scenarios - the trainers themselves are great but the person who manages them.. oof. Once you hit the floor you are ON YOUR OWN. Forget about help from management as they don’t care because you’re just one of 100’s of agents in the office. Some managers are better than others but I had the misfortune of having one who didn’t care about my personal future and just wanted things done his way. Pay is misleading. The ad said base+commission but your paltry $15 an hour is taken back at the end of each month and whilst some agents here make very very good money the opportunity for new agents are weak to say the least. The tiered agent system is a joke, the leads in tier 2 are a joke and the companies policies regarding who can and can not get a term plan are ridiculous. Stop having us lie to callers and try to push AD&D plans when you know full well they qualify for a term plan. Getting into tier 1 is a moving target.. seasoned agents know the game but forget about it if you’re new.. you’ll be slogging it for months trying to hit tier 1 and if you do you’re unlikely to stay. Avoid this place at all costs! There are much better agencies out there.
Benefits
Cons
Literally everything else
Working for AIG Direct for 2 years as an account executive made me realize some of these companies care for about quantity over quality. At first the quality of leads was great but eventually started getting the worst leads ever. Management sucks and your hourly is taken from your commission. The process of selling life insurance is awful as well. They want us to sell aig even though the underwriting team takes months to get people approved.
Pros
Free tacos once every two three months
Cons
Worked in a cohesive environment where a team oriented approach was promoted. The manager was empathetic and understanding. I recommend this position for anyone considering this company.
I Started working at this firm several years ago and since i have been there almost 10 years, i have been Satisfied at work since getting hired at this firm
The goals and ways to accomplish them are clear. The training is excellent and if you can empathize, you can do it. Don't be afraid to not have every answer but never be afraid to be honest with the customers.
Very corporate, people are fired regularly with no warning or mention of mistakes made. Work life balance, benefits and vacation are incredible, but beware of my first statement.
Extensive computer experience required along with understanding how to review medical reports. Worked on a team and was rated based on the amount of savings accrued as the result of your investigation.
Pros
Great supervisor
Cons
Awarded performance based upon unfair tactics
If you are all about proven systems and procedures this is the company for you. Very little autonomy but they are very efficient at getting things done. Success here depends on how willing you are to follow the AIG process.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
You are still held accountable for production goals even if you aren't there.
My time at AIG was wonderful, the people became family. The benefits are above and beyond. I would go back if a fully remote job was available. They could improve a bit on work life balance but then again you get 30 PTO days a year.
Pros
Crazy good benefits
Cons
Hourly over salary
To AIG you are just a number. They will layoff the whole department anytime they want or need to. Your position or years working for the company means nothing to them.
Pros
Good working environment, life balance and benefits
Cons
No easy to advance and ZERO job security
A professional environment and a great place to start a career. But can be very stressful. I love the fact that I was able to work remotely for the last 5 plus years of working for the company.
Pros
Work remotely
Cons
Stressful
Not a lot of room to grow however, very competitive. Fear of layoffs as well. Enjoyed flexibility to work remote. The hardest part of the job was my commute from Oceanside to San Diego.
The ability to work remote was great. The location for me was good They offered a great work schedule. My manager was very good at her job. I was fairly new so I was still learning.
Initially good company to work for however very poor communication and decision to relocate the local office was difficult and unnecessary, not explained well to the staff
Review new business quotes, Quote assessment, get risk scores and and release new approved quotes to brokers or UW Team for farther assessment. Review paper applications and built new quotes based on internal guidelines.
Pros
Great working enviroment - great benefis
Cons
Company is relocating out of CA tp IL and NJ
I worked on a team that was responsible for strategizing settlements on a priority basis, which provided daily challenges and allowed the examiner to think outside the box to address settlement and closure of complex files. This also allowed for great teamwork and dedicated managerial attention within each unit.
AIG is an average employer, benefits are great but compensation could be better. Need to pay their employees more to match amount of work required. Extensive background done on each employee, this is a big plus!
Good benefits and compensation package and great training opportunities. Structured organization with solid leadership in every area of the organization.
I worked in the claims division of AIG. I worked with some of the most experienced supevisors and managers ever. Like most claim departments, the number of incoming claim can be challenging.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Possible micromanagement
AIG was a great place to learn about my sub-industry, but a difficult place to stay, as competitors offered a significantly greater amount in pay and benefits.