AIG

AIG Employee Reviews in Tampa, FL

Day to day work life was slow and inconsistent. Hard to get into a good workflow without consistent projects. Enjoyed the people and culture. Management was great.
overall good company to work for. good benefits, nice atmosphere. nice location. good support staff. i would recommend this company to work for. conveniently located in tampa.
Very focused on achieving goals. The layoff process was harsh and cold. Nice severance package. Too focused on many layers of management and not adjuster responsibility.
Pros
exc ellent benefits.
Cons
Multiple layers of duplicate rev iews.
I did not like working there and so I went to another firm. The management structure was not articulated effectively and the position as described was not what I found.
The workplace culture is quite diverse and while the company has greatly expanded its work from anywhere (remote) environment, it makes for a difficult way to meet with your manager when they are in a 5 hour different time zone. However, there is a lot of flexibility in your hours as there are times when you would be training teams quite literally around the globe. That makes working from home a super way to achieve the work/life balance! The downside is that a company as big as AIG is in a constant state of change when it comes to upper management. One man's vision does not last long until someone else comes up with something different.... market trends maybe, but not all the time.
Pros
Great work/life balance, flexible work hours and terrific benefits
Cons
Difficult to keep up with the upper management changes and their shifting directions.
Benefits and 401k match were decent 6% I believe. Fully vested in 401k day one. PPO option which was very affordable. I don't recall the PTO time but believe it to be average among the industry.
A typical work day for me is coming checking my voicemail and emails for my daily task I have learned a lot about the products offered by VALIC and what the industry has to offer me and their client.
Enjoyed working in the Life and Retirement branch at AIG. The Financial Network idea was sound, the fact seems to be that it didn't take off quite fast enough to become sustainable.
When I first applied to this job I was told that there was a lot of room for advancement. The advancement opportunity just isn't there.
Pros
they close the office on holidays and offer healthcare benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Great Company to work for My division of claims was disbanded and was laid off. Great work environment and on the road frequently. Provided company car which is a great benifit
Pros
great pay and incentives with bonuses
Cons
extremely stressful and challengingg
Management opportunities are lacking. Extremely high stress levels. High caseloads. Severe micro-management. Not a good culture as management does not support their employees.
Pros
Stellar benefits and compensation
Cons
long hours, extermely high stress level and micro-management
A typical day was taking care of the paper work. Gathering the materials necessary for making sales calls. Making sales calls. Returning to office to process paper work and set up appointments for next day. I learned that my job was to help people to improve their quality of life. Management was super. I had a great group of co-workers who for the most part would go out of their way to help a co-worker. New sales in a sluggish economy was the only difficult part of my job. Meeting and being able to help people and their families was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Outstanding earning potential if you are willing to work for it.
Cons
Difficult to produce in a slow economy.
AIG is one of the largest Insurers in the world. I held a position which assisted in reducing risk and saving money for all lines claims. I assisted the field investigators in several states with logistics, case loads, storing evidence, maintaining reports, I also assigned some cases to third party vendors. I collaborated with internal Adjusters to assist our field investigators, used various industry specific databases and Microsoft Office Suite programs, as well as passed an all lines 520 licensing exam with a score of 98%. The most challenging part of the job was watching my coworkers being laid off and the transition of the Claims Adjusters to an at home work status. The large floor of the in the Regions building downtown in Tampa was empty most of the time in my last year. I am a people person and thrive on the energy of those around me. My coworkers continue to be my friends and I value this greatly.
There is little to no formal training. For the past 11 years I have had the same job more or less, but learned all jobs within 3 departments. But since Florida's economy doesn't allow for us to bring in more money I have not been allowed to be promoted from within.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No direction or security
Fast Paced Environment, Technology a bit behind the times, not very employee centered and not much growth opportunities. All commission based pay.
Pros
Will give anyone a chance to work there
Cons
Comission Based pay Only
Took the position thinking I would gain growth within my field. Was told the only way to move up was to switch gears completely, and become a part of the sales force. I loved my co-workers but left because ultimately I did not want to be in sales, nor stay in the same Marketing position forever.
I have learned a lot and once was open to learn and excel. At that time I took initiative to learn all aspects of the jobs in my departments. My co-workers have all had over 20 years of insurance experience and taught me all I wanted to learn. Most days are full and although lunch is encouraged many days involve working through lunch to leave on time. Working from home is an option now so working extra hours is easier to do and maintain a home life. The hardest part of my job is gaining approval to write accounts and compete.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
No Authority and not competitive in the market.
During my time there I enjoyed working for them and would have kept working for them if they had not sold my department.