EY Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

In general a good company with many people who work hard and want to do the right thing. There are some bad actors, and many people who get ahead not on merit, but based on their connections in the firm. Rumor is that some preference given to those from the same immigrant groups based on a very unscientific study.
Pros
Salary is decent
Cons
Low bonus, promotions are not merit based
Lots of opportunities for learning, professional development, and growth. International mobility programs available for high-performers. Lucky to have worked with leaders who really cared about my career.
Having obtained my Northwestern MBA, I was really interested in applying some of the newly gained knowledge. The environment and interesting engagements on which I participated were a great learning ground for me. I really enjoyed the dynamics of the consulting engagements and being able quickly see the positive results I helped drive.
Pros
Great learning environment, fast-paced.
Cons
The extensive travel, at times.
Top-management at EY emphasized a culture for work/life balance, but in actuality, many teams did not allow staff and seniors to pursue that balance. This was the case during busy season and non-busy season. In addition, one was obligated to eat with their teams at lunch at the audit table and have a work-in lunch. It was not encouraged for team members to grab lunch out of the office and have an actual hour lunch break.
Very introverted environment, can learn quickly, development opportunities. Teams were very political for most part, alot of delegation and was impossible to ever get into a routine. One week would be 100+ hours and the next 10.
Working at EY is a great place to start a career. There are a variety of opportunities to travel and work on different projects. EY allows you to take ownership of your own career
Routinely rewarded/recognized for a job well done. Firm is heavily involved in community/charitable causes. EA role is changing due to expansion of technology and tools.
Pros
sometimes allowed to work from home; flexibility in start/end times
Cons
inconsistant standards; favoritism
EY is a great place to go to get your career going. Once you are in, you are locked in - not easy to move around or change focuses or sectors. I would recommend EY for people early or late in their career; consultant/senior or above a Senior manager.
Pros
compensation
Cons
work life balance can be poor
EY is a great place to work, offers potential for advancement, and endless training opportunities. Also, the culture is diverse and inclusive. Providing flexibility is paramount and emphasis on work/life balance.
Flexible place to work, great company, and nice people to associate with, as they always promote learning and growth with all the teams. I enjoy the company's growth.
Working at this company provides you with incredible opportunities, but is often bogged down with internal administrative requirements which take up the majority of your day. Additionally, it is nearly impossible to maintain a good work life balance due to the fact that your teams expect you to work 14 hour work days six out of seven days a week. This is a year round goal, not just during tax season. The culture is extremely competitive and often petty.
Pros
Salary, benefits, pension
Cons
Hours, Administrative obligations, poor teaming
I enjoyed my time at EY. I learned a lot throughout the years and have made connections to so many here from Admin Staff to the Client Serving Professionals. I enjoyed the benefits EY has to offer. Perhaps it's time for me to look for something out there to bring my skills and knowledge and share my experience at a different company.
A good place to work, with a lot of opportunity for growth and experience in several different areas and jurisdictions and a network of tax professionals worldwide.
Great place to start a career. You are able to learn a lot within a short period of time. You also get a lot of exposure to many different companies..
I was with EY for over 7 years and the job was 100% travel. I was a weary road warrior when I left. It is a good company from a compensation standpoint - as there is a great deal of personal sacrifice involved in be a client facing professional. I was unable to attend my spouses Mom's funeral. Couldn't come home when our dog died. Those are the types of examples of personal sacrifice.
Pros
Good compensation and collaborative environment
Cons
Constant travel
There are always new opportunities for high performers to grow within the current group or transfer to another. Raises and bonuses are generous. However, there is little work-life-balance. Even during non-busy season the work week can exceed 50 hours. Many employees are not able to take all of their vacation time before it expires. Working is practically expected when taking vacation. There are also cultural issues within this office: lack of communication from leadership and senior management on issues that impact the team, inability to treat others with respect, environment is competitive instead team focused. It's disappointing to see a group of highly intelligent people treat others so poorly.
Pros
health benefits, discounts, bonuses
Cons
work-life balance
No work life balance. Very corporate mindset and the people are very cut throat. Some of the senior managers are very unprofessional and take out their personal issues on you.
If you're into self destructive behavior this is the place for you to work. You'll work easy 80 plus hours a week during busy season for a barista salary... What presents itself as the opportunity to learn new skills is really a curse because you'll barely have time to develop those skills and you're onto the next project and buried into the next busy season. Always poorly staffed and expects more from you each year...
Pros
big 4
Cons
everything associated with big 4
E&Y was a great company to work for at a time in my life when being home during the week wasn't a priority. The small team of highly dedicated professionals in Tax Operations and Process Solutions I served on was great to work with. We served a small and under-served market that could claim tremendous benefits from our approach due to the fact that it was overlooked by traditional Consulting companies because the projects were too small. Being located in the Tax division gave us better visibility, when we could get it, than we could ever have got in the Consulting division. The C-Level executives we interviewed as part of our process had ideas about how the corporate tax department could help their business vision, but the tax departments typically were stuck in a compliance cycle that left little time for partnering with the business units. When we were able to get that changed, really amazing things started happening. It was very gratifying work.
Pros
Transforming underappreciated function to be recognized as contributing to strategic success, great visibility to the inside of Fortune 500 companies
Cons
Mixed visibility throughout the organization
Good starting point. Do your research and networking prior to coming here so you don't get stuck in a service line you aren't interested in. If you are looking to perform financial analysis, valuation, or buy/sell-side related work, FSO BAP isn't for you. If you are looking for operations, risk-management, or compliance/regulatory work, it's a dream.
Good opportunity to learn / work with a diverse range of people who are for the most part cordial, intelligent and highly motivated. Can be stressful.
Pros
People, variety of projects, learning opportunities
Cons
Leadership shows up late to meetings, too much pressure to multi-task too much, some leaders do not truly appreciate their people