EY Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

In general a good company with many people who work hard and want to do the right thing. There are some bad actors, and many people who get ahead not on merit, but based on their connections in the firm. Rumor is that some preference given to those from the same immigrant groups based on a very unscientific study.
Pros
Salary is decent
Cons
Low bonus, promotions are not merit based
Very high KPIs to meet. Hard to meet them as an experienced hire, but achievable with hard work. Definitely, a place to work toward partnership. Location Investment practice was an excellent place to challenge my skills and push myself forward.
Pros
Training and investment
Cons
Hard to meet KPIs
Profit rules sumpreme at EY; Experienced Consultants with 20+ years are brought in through acquisitions of other consulting firms and then let the experienced, senior people go to allow younger lower paid MBA's to step-in and incrase margin by billing at the same rates as the exprienced consultants. The drive to a 45-50% margin is mandoatory for each engagement in Advisory Services. . Very much a SHARK TANK where eating your peers and leaders to get ahead is rewarded. Great pay & benefits but VERY brutal otherwise. I would not enourage anybody who wants to have a life (or has any compassion in their body) to work at EY.
Pros
Pay & Benefits
Cons
Shark Tank where profit is more important that anything else.
Long hours with little down time. A lot of out of time travel with little notice. Some work could be challenging but still very repetitive at the same time. Always expected to work more hours with no rewards or benefits. Many false promises of what hours would be during non busy season. Work load can also be very dependent on when you receive things from clients.
The department I worked in, I was paying property taxes for amoco clients. Laid off december, 2001. Another company took over the clients for amoco. The group of ladies I worked with, we helped each other with ideas to work out problems. The feel that our managers sometime disagreed and changed the system that I created on the payment process of the tax bills.
Pros
Working independantly.
Cons
Manage teams locally and offshore in India. Manage large technical teams for delivery. Customer engagement and service. Solution architect and business development.
Good company to develop consulting skills. Competitive environment but not competitive with salary. Excellent colleagues with strong focus on providing high value and excellent service to the clients is serves. Fully respectful of diversity. Encourages all team members to provide input and actively engage in solution development
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Salary compression
EY provided great learning opportunities, given the ability to audit different companies. Longer hours were required in "busy season" but were known in advance and limited to certain months of the year. It was also helpful to learn to work for different managers, partners, teammates and clients, to help develop business partnering and management skills.
Pros
Diversity in job experience
Cons
Busy season demanded longer work hours
Challenging engagements, you are constantly pushed beyond your comfort zone. There is a lot to learn when you reach out to folks. There are a number of people trying to mentor and help your progress in your career, formally and informally.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at EY?
A typical work day began with a review of the hoteling reservations of the previous day to ensure work space for all the professionals. Name tags and space preparedness were big ticket items. Global conference calls had my team always working and meeting deadlines. I enjoyed the teaming necessary to complete such a large workload.
Pros
Travel
Cons
I had a great experience working for Ernst & Young. The quality of people are intelligent, respectful, and creative. I truly enjoyed my work and did not mind putting in extra hours because I liked the global nature of my role and working with colleagues in different time zones. I was always learning something new and enjoyed collaborating with colleagues from different service lines and industries within the matrix organization. The most difficult part of the job was having to resign because of the timing of raising my three kids who are active in travel sports. Now that my children are older and more independent, I am hoping to find a similar type of international strategic market analyst/business development role within a global organization.
Pros
Quality of People (Intelligent, Respectful, Innovative)
EY offers excellent benefits and a work/life balance heavily in favor of work. Great company if you're looking to climb the corporate ladder..........
In depth training, intellectual people, relaxed culture, open door policy, several opportunities to network and socialize Cons: demanding work/time sensitive, long hours, bonus policy unfair
Ernst & Young is a solid place to work and a tremendous learning environment. The fast paced, high travel culture may not be for everyone. But for those who enjoy that environment it is great.
Very busy days. I learned a great deal of skills at E & Y. Management is great. Culture is really nice. I always had a lot of work to keep me busy. Working overtime was nice if I needed to. Most enjoyable part was that I was in the city.
Pros
Great location
Cons
From what I've heard, it sounds like EY does value the health and well-being of their talent and strive to provide the best services they can for them.
E&Y is a great place to start a career. Provides lots of learning opportunities and a collaborative team environment. On the negative side, pressure to have billable hours, and minimal work-life balance.
Pros
diverse work, collaborative environment
Cons
billable hours pressure, no work-life balance
This is a great place to start your career and has a lot of learning moments to offer, but quickly becomes your life. Hard to work here and have a social life, ok for some, but not really for everyone.
I go to work and enjoy doing different things. ey gives me the ability to get multiple different experiences! even in different countries!I would recommend ey to a friend or colleague
This is a remarkable people oriented professional organization to work at. People First is not just words but true actions. They expect a certain level of work performance and give so much more back in return. It is truly an inclusive workplace culture and that is what makes it so unique at this size. Management at all levels are approachable and are encouraged to interact -- you become comfortable with all levels, I highly recommend trying this type of position.
Pros
Lots of longer weekends in the summer months
Cons
A commute from the suburbs
Met with each executive each morning to discuss calendar, travel, and scheduling of upcoming meetings. When new partners start, I would train them on the processes and policies of the firm. Lots of time and expense reporting, brainstorming meetings, and travel.
Pros
A very reputable firm
Cons
Not very friendly