EY Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

EY can be a tough place to work, but the training and mentorship opportunities are top notch. I have grown so much in my time at EY thanks to formal and informal training and development opportunities.
Met with each executive each morning to discuss calendar, travel, and scheduling of upcoming meetings. When new partners start, I would train them on the processes and policies of the firm. Lots of time and expense reporting, brainstorming meetings, and travel.
Pros
A very reputable firm
Cons
Not very friendly
As one of the Big Four professional services firms, EY has a culture of high expectations. If you like to work hard this is a great place to work. Along with the hard work, though, are many benefits and perks of working at a large, global organization. There is flexibility if your role and/or leadership allows.
Pros
Client-serving employees have a pretty clear career path
Cons
Non-client-serving (CBS) employees can have limited or unclear career path opportunities
Overall, the company has great culture, pay is fair but vacation time is seriously lacking. Very flexible on hours/location but advancement is difficult. Company does not distinguish between individual performance and company performance/situation. If you land on the right project, you can advance, land on the wrong project and you are stuck.
EY has one of the leading Advisory practice in Regulatory Compliance. One of the hard things is to predict what is going to be next you could be on Compliance project and next you are on Internal Audit which makes you flexible but also at the same time you need to be caution about your skills.
The company itself is great and the flexibility is incredible. However, for specific programs, the recruiting process is misleading. The job you are hired for is not necessarily the job that you wind up doing. That aside, it is a great company as a whole.
Pros
flexibility, Pto, benefits, people
Cons
recruiting, job descriptions, *some* management
Your Big 4 experience will depend largely on what business division you are in and if they value you. Managers can range from those that care about you to those that will push you under the bus at the first available chance.
Allowed me to work remotely - Fast-paced environment Training provided with opportunities to work in other fields Company promotes from within Enjoyed communicating with clients Part of a highly productive team
Pros
Discount program
Cons
Long hours January - April
EY offered a great experience for a summer internship after my sophomore year. The company offered great opportunities to work hand in hand with upper management.
Very likely that different groups comply with the culture that the firm as a whole likes to promote; my personal experience is that it's only talk. Managers were absent with guidance but present only to criticize, were hardly present at the office, did not connect with staff even online and specifically said they were not interested in training anyone because of lack of interest and patience. Counselors provided vague advice and even encouraged negative reviews followed by apologies for such encouragement. People in my group said one thing and did the opposite.
The leadership in OTS and Working Capital was great and had the best interest of those who worked for them. There are countless opportunities to attend trainings and better your career
Pros
Pay, Team Members
Cons
I just loved working at EY. The culture and management is great. You need to expect long hours and travelling to get to the clients. It's the best company to work for in accounting field.
Pros
Great learning experiance
Cons
Long hours and travelling
Fair compensation and benefits. Work life balance not a priority due to nature of projects assigned on. Clear cut job advancement with set standards for each promotion.
I think this was the best way for me to see what an internship did for me. I think it was great time meeting the team and enjoying myself when i was there. I asked many questions and saw most of the clients had a lot of money that needed to be checked.
Pros
Seeing millions of money, Having a team, and learning the statistics
Cons
not being paid
EY is a great company to work for if you are client facing. Do not go into the ASA program as the stigma is horrible. Your treated like a glorified EA and cant move into the client side at all
I enjoyed working here, the advancement was slow but steady for me and I generally feel that my talents and abilities were valued. It was great to be able to work with all levels of employees.
Gives the right tools to become a successful young professional within the finance and mergers and acquisitions industry.
Pros
Good compensation and benefits
Cons
Not much of a work/life balance
EY focuses not only on your career development, but also making sure that you're happy on the job. EY is truly dedicated to your skills and well-being.
Worked as senior consultant. Worked with several fortune 500 companies. Selected as one of the 20 people to start the SAP Delivery Center to provide SAP services. Excellent experience in gathering and delivering to client requirements.
The culture and the people at EY were unparalleled. The ability to create a sustainable work-life balance for yourself is amazing. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that you encounter. Every single person I met in every department was filled with positivity and the desire to create a better working world.
It's not about the Big 4 firms themselves as an organization but the practice group you work with on a day to day basis. One firm can have an amazing reputation as being the best place to work ever but if your practice group is run by an idiot you will be miserable. It's important to understand who you will be working with everyday. Also, there's a lot of talk and literature on the websites about moving to different practice areas. As a firm policy it is said to be an easy process but you will get resistance at every turn because it essentially ruins your groups short-term planning goals and is a pain in the butt to work around your desire to want to work in Luxembourg for 6 months.