EY Employee Reviews for Consultant in Chicago, IL

EY offers a lot of opportunities to learn new skills quickly and implement these skills, but managers can be demanding and occasionally overstep or push back against work-life boundaries. The culture of the firm definitely encourages excessive work, and I sometimes felt that it was better to pour in more time rather than focusing on being more efficient.
Enjoyable time working on technology projects that had immediate impact and felt important. Opportunity to work with incredible people and advance my soft skills.
EY has a lot of opportunity for new hires to start and grow a career. Now is a great time to join consulting practice as its growth has shot up a ton in the last 5 years.
Ernst & Young no doubt is one of the most reputable Big-4 consulting firms of the world. I was very proud to be a part of it, and on paper, it was the answer for that dream jobs that I had been looking for.The reality, and neither their fault nor mine, is that I was hired to do one thing and one thing only, to consult on a specific hospital inventory software system - derived from my previous work. Unfortunately, this system was not really in demand at the time (1998-9) and I found myself "on the beach".Initially, this was OK as it allowed me to decompress and figure out the corporate structure and culture. I have never seen one line it before nor since, and to this day I am not sure if it is the way to run things.My tenure there was short, and I grew frustrated of not being deployed to engagements, as they called them; assignments around the country to do what I do best.In the meantime I took internal and external training at their expense, and brushed up on a lot of new technologies while I appealed to change departments and fit me into an engagement where I could not only utilize my skills, but leverage my languages and international work experience. This never happened, and the frustration grew.As a result, I wound up leaving and returning to Europe for a fruitful 12 years until the Great Recession set in.I would recommend this company solely based on its outside reputation, however, those interested in joining the elite should read up on the culture and corporate lifestyle and see if they can fit into it. It is for the very few - and it works for some and doesn't - more...
Pros
good to have on your resume., corporate at its best., organized and methodical., great offices and facilities.
Cons
lateral movement internally impossible., can be a bit ott with simple tasks., overanalysis can lead missing the big picture., promotions come with a price.