EY Employee Reviews for Manager in Chicago, IL

Workplace culture is geared toward aggressive, proactive type A persons. Great place if you thrive by leading within large teams and don't mind lots of travel. So much client time is expected that regular offices are not provided. Hoteling is used instead, requiring one to reserve cubicle space at the office building when needed. Long hours are the norm, though the company tries to encourage working smart rather than just having more face-time. Networking with management and clients is highly important to succeed. Management expects people to drive their own career development, though they have a system to offer quarterly feedback. As with many consulting firms, some managers and higher-ups are helpful and others can be jerks.
Pros
brand, decent pay for managers and up
Cons
constant travel, no dedicated office space
Extremely poorly managed IT Advisory division. Promotios are purely based on WHO you know, doesn't matter how good a worker you are. Very poor mentoring.
Lots of opportunities for learning, professional development, and growth. International mobility programs available for high-performers. Lucky to have worked with leaders who really cared about my career.
Profit rules sumpreme at EY; Experienced Consultants with 20+ years are brought in through acquisitions of other consulting firms and then let the experienced, senior people go to allow younger lower paid MBA's to step-in and incrase margin by billing at the same rates as the exprienced consultants. The drive to a 45-50% margin is mandoatory for each engagement in Advisory Services. . Very much a SHARK TANK where eating your peers and leaders to get ahead is rewarded. Great pay & benefits but VERY brutal otherwise. I would not enourage anybody who wants to have a life (or has any compassion in their body) to work at EY.
Pros
Pay & Benefits
Cons
Shark Tank where profit is more important that anything else.
EY is a wonderful place to launch a career, with tremendous opportunities to grow personally and professionally. Longer-term, it was difficult to manage a reasonable work/life balance, but I had a tremendous experience over the eight years I spent there.
I have learned a lot in a very short amount of time working for the Big 4, however the hours are excessive and the pay is not reflective of the time required to meet clients needs. I have met some very smart and interesting people who have helped my develop professionally.
Pros
Good vacation
Cons
work/life balance
Market pressure caused the firm to reduce headcount in the Financial Services Advisory practices. I had the highest utilization in my practice, but my unique skillset was difficult for them to deploy effectively in a "go-forward" mindset, despite high utilization in three of the past four years (go figure). So I was let go, after almost twelve years, two months shy of a $20,000+ bonus and ONE WEEK PRIOR to the birth of my second child. There is an incredible opportunity to learn and grow at EY, but don't think for a second that they care about you as a person.
Pros
Great networking platform, development opportunities
Cons
Soulless, heart-sucking management who don't value people, period
Ernst & Young’s Transaction Support Group partner’s with private equity and strategic clients to help evaluate, structure and execute successful transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, restructuring, joint ventures and IPOs.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at EY?