HSBC Employee Reviews in Burnaby, BC

At HSBC, the environment is very competitive. Employees gave 110%+ all the time because the more you give, the more recognition, success and rewards you receive.
Pros
Excellent advancement opportunities
Cons
Too many politics
work can get quite stressful when there are not enough staff. I feel like hsbc canada is lacking versus other banks and customers are not happy with our products
My day contributes to multitasking by answering emails, calls and approving pending applications. If there are corrections or stipulations I need completed by our ASM team I reach out to them . I ensure compliance and policies are all met while adjudicating applications. I have learned lots and continue to learn as my time progresses here. Such as becoming an expert at reading Equifax and Trans Union. I am excellent with excel and other Microsoft software. My speed on approving loans while ensuring all due diligence is met is great too. I continue to enhance in my education as I am currently enrolled in the CFA level 1 . The hardest part about this job is when I am declining applications knowing the customer is in need of the loan but does not meet requirements. I enjoy my work life balance by being able to focus at work but also during breaks be able to enjoy down time in our quiet room or engage in fun activity in the games room.
There is an issue in worklife balance in HSBC as management sometime expect from you to sit late no matter what. If your manager is there, you need to be there also.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
work life balance
HSBC is a global bank with large international banking system on the multi platforms, providing lots of learning opportunities, as well as working with teams around the world. It's exciting.
Pros
MultiCultural & Flexible working hours
Cons
Different time zone working hours
I enjoyed working with people there. Nevertheless, working hours are not very favorable due to global nature. I am thankful for different opportunities given to me to work on different part of the organization in different roles.
Having great time with HSBC. The working environment is very nice, also I have a very good team and management. I have learned all my AS400 programming skill in HSBC and they gave me a lot of chance to involve in the flagship project. The workplace culture is good, we allowed to working from home and we have flexible working hours. The hardest part of the job is we need to work/communicate with teams/team members in other timezone.
Pros
Good team member and work environment
Cons
Work with teams in other timezone
Multicultural Environment. Most time are challenging work. Must willing to work with people across the globe. Minimum of 7.5 hrs and work longer hrs.
Pros
can work from home
Cons
multi country meeting time
Work environment could be more supportive. Employees do not get full support from their managers who hide behind their desks and are not up to date with procedures sometimes.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at HSBC?
It is a good company. They support you starting to your career, and benefits is competitive. Leaders took care of the employees well being. Physical fitness area also available.
Typical daily working routine: - check and respond to emails - check/prepare project documentation - interact with business and discuss details on the requirements - interact with IT engineering to work on design - daily call with engineering/business teams in across the world I learned: - payment systems infrastructure - payment processes framework - payment channels - integration of the banking systems with payments infrastructure - project management methodology - communicating with people, 'follow up" and meeting protocols Management: - goal oriented, collaborative and team supportive Workplace culture: - continuously changing/adjusting
Pros
minimum control
Cons
permanent organizational changes
- working with teams globally is fun and exciting - Lots of emails to go through - supportive management - learning to do more with less - flexible time - able to work from home
Pros
Good salary, vacation and benefits package
Cons
Lots of work per person
HSBC group development is undergoing a transformation and is very much in a sate of transition. Overall a good company to work for but currently in a state of change.
I enjoyed working at HSBC. I have learned a lot of banking products and knowledge. The company is full of culture. The work environment is excellent.
Its a fabulous place for opportunists only if you can see beyond the horizon. It was a very competitive atmosphere but that helps to bring out the best in you. Very fun place to work and enjoyed partying with my colleagues after every project milestone. At one point it felt like working with friends rather than co-workers.
I have been working here from last 2 years and I feel proud to work with this company. Salary and benefits are quite enough.
Start work 4.30am to 2.00 pm - Monday to Thursday. Review, adjudicate application with an approval or decline. Coach branches to restructure files to reduce the banks risk and adhere to lending policy and guidelines. Analyze financial statements and vet income documentations. Pull title searches and review appraisals, purchase agreements . Ensure property meets banks guidelines. On an ongoing basis coach and mentor new staff. Assist co workers on complex deals.
Pros
Enjoy working 2 days at home and 2 days in the office
Cons
Really enjoy my job so do not see any cons .
You'd process commercial clients' requests on a daily basis. Most of the managers are open for discussion and are willing to assist on any work-related training material. Co-workers are friendly, fun and easy-going. Generally speaking all teams under the department are enjoyable to work with.
A place where people are very friendly and want to teach you what they know in order for you to grow. The day was never boring as I had to multi task and to assume alot of responsibilites. People are eager to help you and to explain if you dont know something. The best part of HSBC where I worked was the people I worked with.
Pros
Salary, benefits. work/life balance
Cons
Leadership is lacking direction at times
Flexible start/end times with a great team of people. The work itself was autonomous - you could spend an entire day not talking to a single other person. Management seemed really supportive and patient with learning; co-workers maintained professionalism at all times, and rarely talked about personal lives. There was no "hard" part of the job; the most enjoyable job was that your work could be quantified via metrics. That was rewarding, as you were able to track specifically how you contributed to your team.