HSBC Employee Reviews for Teller

HSBC has old fashioned systems and processes which are difficult to learn, the training, is just learn as you go and when you make mistakes you will be told off and asked "why did you do it like that?" working here has made me very depressed.
Pros
the benefits, pension, salary protection/illnes cover, car breakdown they are all very good and an excellent share scheme
Cons
its an old fasioned legacy bank, the processes and sytems are from the 80's and cannot keep up with customers expectations
The benefits and support were good in the beginning. Then I developed my disability then suddenly it flipped, everytime I had to take any time off work for my health I was interrogated, even asked to call in by 9am everyday whilst I was in hospital. They call you in for meetings to discuss how you are feeling then will use anything you give them in a disciplinary without informing you. Management have favourites and will sit around the back talking with them for hours whilst you are out front dealing with enquiries you are not trained for with no support, then you are disciplined for making independent decisions while there was no support. I would not reccomend at all and I would advise against applying at all costs.
Pros
Goodish pay, nice colleagues on my level
Cons
Discrimination, favourites, deception and misleading rampant
Working for hsbc has been stressful. Constant pressure about getting referrals. No work life balance or no pension plan. Most of staff wasn’t helpful and you have to figure it out on your own.
Pros
401k match
Cons
Everything else
Everyday I was not looking forward to going to work, the people I worked with would show you one side of them and then talk behind your back, they put pressure on you and make you feel small when you make a mistake, they rush you into stuff you're not comfortable with, manager and a few of the staff there were very up each other. Overall I left everyday feeling stressed and ill
Great bank to work for and happy to be part of it. Great health insurance in place for you and really good benefits of working for a bank. Great career pathway.
Good company can be stressful at times but enjoy the fast pace and great if you like chatting to customers. Team I work with are fantastic and can be found in most branches
HSBC have unrealistic targets which they call expectations which are basically targets. Your not appreciated for hard work. You’ll work most Saturdays no work life balance. No progression and they pay is rubbish
The is targets to hit and if you get the right team/management then the will help you...others will just leave you be and then kick off as of why you dont understand... good hours but sometimes staying back for errors might happen, some which are not your fault
typical day: helping customers apply for credit cards, loans, bank accounts, home insurance etc using the quickest channel (e.g. telephone,branch or internet). Help customer with internet banking issues. print statements, fix statement/cheque machines. help customers make transfers both international and domestic. Referring customers to premier specialist if they enquire about investments. What I've learned: Regardless of behaviors, you are recognised based on your overall performance. The bank has things they call 'Expecations' which they dont like being called targets. These are reported in every employees KPI's (key performance indicators) and are what matter most to management. Workplace culture: dress down days on specific days (e.g. cancer awareness, Alzheimer society etc.). Everyone takes ownership for a specific duties (e.g. stationary orders, digital advocate, charity organiser, event organiser etc.) Hardest part of job: when short staffed, it can get tedious to get colleagues to cover the floor as you will end up losing out on opportunities to get customers to apply for a credit card/ loan etc. Most enjoyable part of the job: Leaving a lasting impression on customers after providing an exceptional service and receiving positive feedback.
HSBC is a nice bank to work for. Good clientele and a nice work environment. Salary however doesn’t match up with the workload. But overall the work life balance is what keeps the employees going 👍🏻
The staff in branch were friendly and nice to work with but I would not recommend working here if you live rurally. The opportunity for career advancement in a rural setting is low and the pay is not adequate to survive. The stress level is also high considering the insufficient pay.
Fast paced environment, a lot of customer service aspect, which is god if like communication. Gets busy from time to time but still not too stressful.
Training relies on a focus of personal banking, but when in actual bank, you do nothing that relates to training.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Job was very simple and very easy to learn the employees were so helpful and responsible our guests were very well taken care of and never had complaints that’s one thing I love about my job is making sure guest are treated great
I worked In branch as a Universal Banker, it was horrible!!! The job is fine, nice to speak with customers on a daily basis and help them with what they came in for. The management however, is very very poor. My colleagues were amazing and so friendly, which made it even harder to see them deteriorate due to managers who would bully them/ put them under so much stress they would eventually be signed off work. All they care about is pushing everyone to reach stupidly high targets (oops did I just say targets... sorry ‘expectations’) which are impossible to achieve. Every day started with a negative meeting on how badly we were doing, after which we all had to stand in a circle and tell the group how we were feeling that day (had to be positive or we were dragged into an hour long meeting where our personal lives were divulged and then gossiped about). Managers have favourites, which they will feed outcomes to. I never felt valued which is funny as that’s one of their main priorities. After a busy day we never got a ‘thank you’ only- you can do better!!! This place literally sucked all motivation/ confidence out of me and leaving was the best thing I ever did. Please, please, please don’t apply here, you will regret it!
Pros
Colleagues are soo lovely & friendly
Cons
Managers are bully’s & don’t know how to do their job, Pay is rubbish for the amount you have to put up with, Do at least an hour extra everyday without pay/ even a thank you!
told you don't have targets but when you don't meet what's expected you are put on performance plans. the people definitely make the job in the company.
- Lots of career advancement opportunities - Extremely fast-paced work environment - Ability to multi-task essential - Effective communication skills is key
Fun environment to work you'll meet all different kinds of people. As long as you can keep on top of you paper work you can have some time to yourself and relax a little bit or help a colleague out if need be
Pros
The people
Cons
None to shout about.
I was in the bank for nearly 5 years starting as a Customer Service Officer and then a Senior to then their newer role everyone was pushed across to Universal Banker Pros -helping customers and knowing your making a difference -colleagues -recognition (they have extraordinary people awards) -coaching to develop in role Good hours paid 9-5 work 8.30-5.30 smaller branches longer which isn't so good. - targeted. They say it's not but it is as you compete across the country in quintiles I actually enjoyed that. Cons - they upset a lot of staff when they cut the senior role and made ever customer service officer the same grade and on the same salary (We got an extra 500pa which didn't go down well) - lack of progression no management roles and difficult to get out of branch. - real lack of staff. My branch was the flagship for the area and in a year our headcount was cut by half and we were given more responsibility which resulted in stressed unhappy colleagues.
Pros
Helping customers, recognition, coaching
Cons
Progression, staffing, Universal Banker for existing seniors
only because of where I was based the progressive was sluggish and HSBC says that they don't have targets. that's a lie. they just call them benchmarks.
you get to meet great people, great experience and fast paced I loved counting money and doing the deposits and doing check deposits and doing data entry