Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Marriott is a great company to work for. They take pride in making sure their associates are happy and taken care of. I loved their motto “put people first.”
Pros
Service, professional
Cons
Short breaks
Majority of the time job is fast pace, everyone is usually help each other and the environment is friendly place to work. Management is fair and easy to talk to.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Inconsistent with break times - sometimes we don't get a break
we have a daily preshift where we give information to the assocites daily. There is no such thing hard job , Managers are good, Cultures ifs great 3 different cultures I work with,
Westin is an awesome place to work, management is pretty cool, flex schedule, discounts on rooms any where. During hiring season you have a chance to advance to a different department or transfer to other hotels.
Pros
Free lunch, 15min union break, 30 min break, locker room, unionized
Cons
When it's super busy you can't really take a break, no free employee parking
Comfortable and gets you by. A lot of hard workers go unrecognized and those who are recognized don't deserve it yet get promoted. Not somewhere i would want to retire.
Enjoy meeting new people in the company and with the new attitude of people. the west in hotel. it is a good company but the boss are not at all.I have a express worker with the company but one day or the boss of west in hotel didn't say to me i did a good job
my initial introduction was amazing. being taught how to run the entire hotel within my training period gave me a deeper appreciation for everyone's role.
Pros
team builder
Cons
new ownership
Great company to work for. Advancement is highly competitive, but opportunities are plentiful. Competitive salary and benefit subsidy level. Truly feel like you are apart of something special.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Competition for few positions in some disiplines
A work place where the concept is that management puts the employees first so that they will put the guests first.... this is an amazing concept and every individual lived by this creed. Chicago Marriott O'Hare is family and a place where you can grow, learn, experience a lot on the job training and have an extended family who is concerned about you just as management is concerned about their guest. A great place to work!
Pros
A FAMILY work environment
Cons
My department was broughtout because we were union
Good experience to get a head start in hospitality management as an intern in college. Get randomly assigned to a division within the hotel, and are also put on projects.
I loved everything about this company . It has a diversity of people, benefits are wonderful also the management is the best I've ever encountered Recommended this company to anyone
Don't get comfortable get experience and move on. Met great people here though as far as guest are concerned. Learn a lot about interacting with different types of people.
Was a good place to work prior to Columbia Sussex bought the property. I do not recommend it now. Staff was berated in stand ups, management was very unhelpful and unprofessional.
When it came to working here i really enjoyed my time there, the only thing that i did not like about being here was the respect from customers but do to the patience that i have and me being an understanding person that is how i was about to maintain my job.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
had to purchase our own meals
My first job after i graduated from college. Marriotts manager training program was top notch. I learned so much about the hotel business. Hours were long but rewarding.
Pros
Large property, advacement
Cons
Long commute
The large size of the hotel with a lot of check ins and check outs on a daily basis. Large work load for the staff. Great source of experience for those looking to build on a career in hospitality.
Pros
Great location.
Cons
Heavy work load.
I worked for the sales office in NYC in midtown. I have never seen a company as disorganized as this one. The management here are like chickens running around with their heads cut off. They have no idea what they're doing at all. There is zero communication about anything. Seriously, they are so lackluster. Work/life balance is so terrible. The working conditions of this job are pure trash. Turnover rate in hospitality is high but in this office it was much higher than usual. People literally rarely make it past two months. If I could give this company a 0 out of 5 I would. I only enjoyed being around my coworkers because they were relatively nice, but that's it. Working here was physically, mentally and emotionally draining. The bottom line is you should avoid this place if you want to preserve your sanity.
Great company because they are all about hard work and the company has great standards which I admire because I love it when my values aline with my work values!
the team wasn't fun to work with and that didn't make the kids want to come back. They don't allow you to shy away from specific formants even though not all the kids learn in the same way.
Pros
workign with the youth
Cons
not always working with the same kids
A typical day for me starts off with checking out and checking in guests into the hotel. I do accounting adjustments and credit card, check, and cash payments for clients. My management team is really fun to work with and they make sure our shift stays productive and upbeat in every way. My co-workers are great teammates and we all work well together. The most difficult part of my job is satisfying everyone’s needs. Although this may be difficult, I always make sure that every client has left satisfied. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with different people from all over the world
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Standing all day
I would say the culture is very fun and fast paced. If you are looking for an exciting challenge this is the company to work for.