Motorola Solutions

Motorola Solutions Employee Reviews in Remote

I've worked for only 3 companies over the past 30 years, IBM, one small company, and Motorola Solutions. Motorola is the best! The culture is good, as is the salary.
There have always been layoffs and the occasional bad manager but this has gotten significantly worse over the years. All employees, regardless of rank, age or profession are consistently fearful for their jobs. There is a very clear "everyone is replaceable" atmosphere and, if you report to the "wrong" person, it will be stated verbally to you. Most of the "old-timers" have been let go years ago, the staff is fairly young now. So the breadth of knowledge and technical insight is lacking. I can't stress enough how poor management is. There is very little regard for the mental health or wellness of employees any longer.
Pros
Flexible work day (for some)
Cons
Management at every level
First off the company as a whole varies dramatically. If you are on a team that deals with specific customers, it will be operated completely different then another team working in another area. This can be good and bad, what makes sense to do won't happen, then you will be glad that your management doesn't enforce certain things.At times people can be very insular and appear to show favoritism, many people have carved out their area of responsibility, so if you don't stick up for yourself you will get taken advantage of.You will be thrown to the wolves a lot, so if you are the type of person who is reliant on other people, you will fail. There is an alcohol problem with most people working for Motorola, and it is just joked about, this is evident in people drinking until early morning daily and coming to work hungover, or still legally drunk. If you drink, you will be right at home, if not, you will be picking up other people's slack.If you are familiar with the radio world, Motorola is always put up on a pedestal, I worked with some amazing people, but the management was horrible, with crazy amounts of turn over and new policies. Once I saw behind the curtain as a "motorolian" I was disappointed.The pay is only good when working overtime, which requires 90% travel or more if they see that you can be taken advantage of.Training is all dependent on schedule, which can lead to no training in the course of a year. The project managers and engineers, besides a few, are some of the worst I have ever worked with. You will be expected to wear multiple hats, take - more...
Pros
Cutting edge technology, Best of the best in radio industry, Relationships with customers, Travel
Cons
Heavy travel, Favortism, Poor management
Very demanding work on mission-critical communications infrastructure is stressful but rewarding. You cannot do this job without constantly learning as systems change quickly and troubleshooting skills are key. Work can vary from computer networking to server management to RF optimization and radio programming.
Pros
Decent benefits and compensation along with paid training and certifications
Cons
Very Demanding and stressful work environment, Very political with the inefficiencies of big business/government
During a typical work day; I am communicating with customers via case management/emails or over the phone regarding repair related concerns. To help manage repair accounts, repair tickets and or estimates for repairs. The hardest part of the job is the technical questions a customer may have; as I am not in technical support. The easiest part is confirming all the information on the screen with the customer.
Motorola was a wonderful company at some point, but just not in the few years that I worked there. I worked in the sales organization and found that the sales people always put profits in front of the customer, no matter what. Designs and reliability were second always to making more commission and looking great from a finance standpoint. This was not a collaborative environment and I resigned rather that stay.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
It's an unprofesional work environment
Good place to work but advancement limited and opportunity yo move around to gain experience limited to what your are doing
Pros
People
Cons
Lack of advancement