Motorola Solutions

Motorola Solutions Employee Reviews for Senior Software Engineer

The working environment is conducive and the work is challenging enough. Friendly and warm colleagues and managers with exploration of current and advanced technologies
Good work-life balance, as long as you get the job done, nobody cares about how many hours you put into it.Products line longevity is on demamd, no long term future and roadmap.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Long term products line doesnt exist, mostly working on demamd bases.
Working in the Chicago office is 100x better than working in Schaumburg, my rating reflects working Schaumburg. The work I did looks great on a resume. Expect layoffs to impact your team roughly once a year. I never once felt that my pay met industry standards, although I never had to work extremely hard.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Pay
Opportunity to learn and explore many new things. Good place to work. Always something new to work. Always busy with different roles and assignments.
I would not recommend working here. My job has been threatened twice in 4 years from restructuring type activities and this time I'm choosing not to take an internal opportunity.
Pros
Increasing use of modern tech stack, bonus, flexible work environment
Cons
politics, management, culture, job security, outlook
Huge layoff waves. This location no longer exists. Issues with product management. Had great legacy of technological innovation, but not sustained, hence lagged in market.
Used to a great workplace to boost your career and if you got great management at your location they used to help you to learn and grow and used to help you in any way you want .
The software group produces very little software code. Roughly 10% of the staff hours go towards actual software production. The group spends a significant time performing manual testing. One former team member described this as a test group, not a software group. The group does not use contemporary project management tools, but uses word processors and spreadsheets. The RM tool is a word processor. A significant amount of time goes into meetings. Without an agenda, the meetings turn into stream of consciousness, with many point repeated and belabored.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Continuous testing and meetings.
Always provide training for new hiring. It provided both technical and management training for certain hours per year. I first learned architecture design from this company.
Pros
Provided many training
Cons
Not very focus on new technical skill
I believe the teams and departments that I use to be part off and I work in have been closed down/disbanded/made redundant shortly after I left and therefore any comments here would be irrelevant.
Many, many iterations of trying to get the software organization right. Lots of churn, and likely still more to come. They seem to be closer to getting there. Culture is getting better but still very much command and control. Lots of interesting problems to solve and an impactful domain to work in (public safety). Career mobility in Salt Lake is limited, directors and VPs have always been in Chicago or (more recently) Seattle.
Pros
Nice building, free snacks/sodas, good benefits, good pay
Cons
Command and control culture, mismatch between senior leadership vision and reality, currently lots of layoffs
Motorola has sold off many of its core business, and not the same company as it was when I started. It is now a shell of what the company used to be. When they sold off the cellular infrastructure division to Nokia, top management sold it as a great deal, and they would also be part of the transaction, but when push came to shove, they found a way out of the sale. Nokia did not really want the people, but rather the customers.
Cons
State of Art building situated near a beautiful seashore. A group of multi talented people in every department,who are very fun loving as well as pretty competitive. Surely a great management and definitely a nice place for work.
Pros
Good Documentation and proper project KT
Cons
Communication gap
Very Good Office Timings. There is a balance between office time and personal time. Very nice work culture and very supportive team. Nice to express yourself and the team will always encourage you to think innovative and make you comfortable to take risks.
I really enjoyed my time being there. Too bad that middle management got greedy and I have to search for a new opportunity now. I enjoyed learning new technologies all the time. It was interesting projects.
Pros
The people, the work-life balance
Cons
some managers
Great peer group to work with.. but everyone was over worked and very stressed out about the job. Plenty of opportunities to grow but the workforce reductions continued to make it more difficult to take time for PD.
Pros
Excellent hard working peer group.
Cons
Job security
It used to be great to work at Motorola but over time things have changed. Motorola is no longer interested in innovating or providing quality solutions. Most existing products have entered the maintenance stage. Many company reorganizations and shifting around management has lead to leaders who don't know what they're leading anymore and barely know the business associated with the team they're assigned. They expect long hours and no longer pay competitive salaries for the Chicago region in general. Quality was born at Motorola in 1980s, but today quality is often an after thought. Management would prefer spending the least amount of dollars and effort possible to get things pushed out the door to meet the bottom line. Then they'll deal with the defects from the field later. All this said, the company wants to focus on becoming an IT oriented services based company now since they think this will increase their ability to make ongoing revenue and improve shareholder value. So a lot of money has been taken from the core products of the company shift to these new areas. So if you work in the services part of the company you might do better than working for any of the old core business.
Pros
Flexible work hours, Pto, casual relaxed work environment
Cons
Expensive private healthcare market place
Motorola Solutions is a very good place to work where you can strike a perfect work life balance. It has a very good work culture and the management is also very good.
Pros
Perfect work life balance
Cons
every one is extremely busy.
One of the best companies i ever worked for. The management is very helpful and understanding and recognize the good work by providing opportunities to move up the ladder.
Pros
Products available at a very good price for employees
Cons
No Cons
A typical day will involve a morning scrum meeting where you discuss what you did the previous day, what you are working on today and any problems that you are facing. After that you'll return to work and pick up your tasks. We work in three week sprints with quality gates that allow time for testing and rework. We practice a scaled agile framework, so an entire 4 sprint release is planned well in advance, so you know what you and other teams are going to be working on, it is a really good environment for professional coding. They have a great work life balance and rarely if ever require overtime. There are often "perks" such as going to a movie or lunches and a yearly outing at a local amusement park. The hardest part of the job is that the system is complex and spans multiple areas, so you need to be able to think about how your changes will affect other areas.
Pros
Good work life balance, ability to work remotely
Cons
Pay could be better
Daily work is meeting, programming, and testing. It's a little boring after 10+ years. I learned much from this company, including programming, development environments, narrow band communication, abroad cooperation, team management, and many soft skills. Colleagues there are nice and smart. We help each other and struggle to achieve goals. If it were not for the domain knowledge of daily work is out of date, I will work there for more years.